Sky blue bg 01

How to make a complaint about a retailer who isn't an Approved Seller

There are hundreds of Approved Sellers across Australia. If the business you wish to complain about is not an Approved Seller there are still organisations below who may be able to help.

    Have you tried to resolve your dispute with the retailer directly?

    Many disputes can usually be resolved directly with them. If you haven’t approached them directly about your problem we recommend doing that first.

    If the company has gone out of business you may still be able to contact their administrators via the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) website, by phoning 1300 300 630 or contacting your local Office of Fair Trading.

    If you are still having difficulty resolving a dispute, cannot contact the retailer or do not wish to contact them the organisations below may be able to help.


    Complaints about electrical safety

    If you are concerned about the safety or technical compliance of your solar system, you should contact the electrical authority in your state or territory:

    • ACT: Planning and Land Authority, (02) 6207 1923
    • NSW: Fair Trading, 13 32 20
    • NT: NT WorkSafe, 1800 019 115
    • QLD: Electrical Safety Office, (07) 3225 2000
    • SA: Office of the Technical Regulator, (08) 8226 5518
    • TAS: Office of Electricity Standards and Safety, (03) 6233 7851
    • VIC: Energy Safe Victoria, (03) 9203 9700
    • WA: EnergySafety, (08) 9422 5200

    If you have problems with an electricity retailer or distributor

    If you have a complaint about your electricity retailer or electricity distributor, you can contact the Energy Ombudsman in your state or territory:

    • ACT: ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal, (02) 6207 7740
    • NSW: Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW, 1800 246 545
    • NT: Ombudsman for the Northern Territory, 1800 806 380
    • QLD: Energy and Water Ombudsman Qld, 1800 662 837
    • SA: Energy and Water Ombudsman SA, 1800 665 565
    • TAS: Energy Ombudsman Tasmania, 1800 001 170
    • VIC: Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria, 1800 500 509
    • WA: Energy Ombudsman WA, 1800 754 004

    For example, the Energy Ombudsman may be able to help if your complaint is about:

    • the provision and supply of electricity
    • failure to provide or supply electricity services
    • quality of electricity supply
    • billing
    • credit and payment services
    • electricity disconnections
    • connection or transfer issues
    • actions of a supplier which affect your property
    • metering not working.

    If you have exhausted your options

    Should you be unable to resolve your dispute to your satisfaction with assistance from either the NETCC or the Office of Fair Trading, you can take your complaint to the appropriate Small Claims Tribunal or Court in your state or territory.

    You should seek independent legal advice about whether this option is available and suits your circumstances.

    • ACT: Small Claims Court, (02) 6217 4272
    • NSW: Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal, 1300 135 399
    • NT: Local Court - Small Claims Division (limit is $10,000 and claims must be lodged within 2 years of the event), (08) 8999 6298
    • QLD: Small Claims Tribunal (the limit on a small claim is $7500), (07) 3225 2000
    • SA: Magistrates Court - Small Claims (deals with disputes of up to $5000), (08) 8204 2444
    • TAS: Magistrates Court - Minor Civil Claims Division (any dispute claiming $5000 or less), (03) 6233 3623
    • VIC: Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (no limit to the amount you can claim), (03) 9628 9830
    • WA: Magistrates Court, (08) 9425 2222